Friday, January 27, 2012

On the Verge of Death

So I think my laptop is on its last legs. In the last couple weeks it has begun restarting at random and graphics card is doing funny things... I would love it if it lasted for the rest of 2012 (that would help me finish school) but I think that might be too much to ask. It is almost 5 years old after all. I use it so much right now to communicate with friends here in Spain because we are all too cheap to use our cell phones frequently. I use it to work on my Spanish and botany projects for school when I get back in the fall. I use it to Skype! Ahh! I am not too worried because Evan has his computer here as well, which I could use for all of the above, but his computer is his precious and he can be very possessive of it (think Gollum). Thinking about spending copious amounts of time trying to get him to let me use his computer sounds difficult.

As much as I love my MacBook, I don't want to spend a grand on a computer again, so I will probably end up with a PC laptop that costs about half as much. I have always been scared of them because of the amount of viruses they contract but that is where Evan comes in handy because computers are his specialty.

I am really bummed today because I was all set to go to Valldemossa today and collect some lichens for my project but it is raining! Overall I am happy that it is raining because it doesn't rain very much here and the rain feels cleansing to me. And it helps wash the dog shit off the sidewalks, which is always a plus. I really do need to get outside of the city and see some nature. It has been a while! We haven't been on a hike since before we left for our winter vacation! On Sunday (if the weather is nice) I will be doing some volunteering at a community garden.

Our landlady, Paquita, got us a heater and now it is nice and toasty in our room! Hooray! The moment Evan had it assembled and turned it on it sucked up a piece of lint and shorted out one of the circuits. At that moment I was thinking "Spain, por favor no me jodas asi!" but then Evan took the whole thing apart and was able to fix it. Yay for handymen! The the light burned out in our room and Evan goes to change it and the bulb looks like a strange crack pipe so hopefully someday we will find an equivalent bulb somewhere. Spain, por favor no me jodas asi....

I think now today will consist of watching The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and sending some overdue emails to friends. And then tonight we celebrate our friend Italis' birthday!

Oh yeah, and I am going to run and do some strength training (with water bottles due to limited resources) because I feel horribly out of shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment