Tuesday, March 13, 2012

RIP Luke

I was never very close with Luke but he was a significant person in one of the most important years of my life: my first year of college. We lived together in the dorms and had some great times. He was a fisherman in Oregon and his ship along with 3 other crew members went down. There was a distress signal and the Coast Guard searched 640 miles of ocean and all they found was an oil slick, some debris and an inflated life raft. They decided that the conditions were too adverse and it had been too long for anyone to be possibly left alive. Like I said before, I wasn't very close with Luke but this has just been a difficult year for me with deaths. Jim Kennedy, Janet Guzman, Jon Brickner, now Luke Jensen. He was such a strong person, physically and with his personality. Very charismatic. I have great memories of him, Kevin, Jordan, Richelle and I going fishing and doing bonfires together. And all the great times smoking hookah out on the balcony, the time Luke too mushrooms and ended up being ridiculous and eating Lucky Charms in our bathroom. So many good memories...At least he died doing what he loved out at sea. I just hope he didn't suffer for too long. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

It was great having Jordan here in Spain with me for this. Last night we drank a couple bottles of wine and reminisced about those great times we had in the dorms. And talked about the present, future and everything in between. I am so lucky that I can surround myself with at least 2 of my people in times like these.

It is so hard to be away from home when I am feeling like this but at the same time the family that I have developed with the people I have met is going to be so hard to leave. All the great people I have met here; Scott, Emily, Mary, Lisa, Italis, the list goes on. I am really going to have a hard time leaving this island. That is a good thing.

I am getting really excited to meet the extension of my Italian family in Scotland. We are flying out on April 5th to Edinburgh. My mom's cousin Josephine lives across the bay from Edinburgh with her husband. They had 2 grown children, Derek and Shirley. Derek has 2 kids who are 4 and 9. I am really excited to meet them. Josephine was nice on the phone when I skyped her.

They are still doing construction on our building which is becoming more and more depressing as the weather is getting warmer. They powerwashed all the balconies yesterday, which I am hoping means that they are getting closer to being done. After the whole incident of paint dust being squirted through all the cracks in the (really old and crappy) windows in the apartment, I am very much over it. AND waking up to them working at 8 am on Saturdays!!?? WTF!! This is Spain, people are not supposed to work that much here!!!

This experience has given me so much to appreciate. Any apartment I live in after this is going to feel like heaven, just because I will only be living with Evan and/or Jordan. And we can have all of our own stuff in it! Without any dirty and/or strange roommates! Hurray!

My friends Mary, Amanda and I are running in a 10K this coming Sunday! I have run that far before but never in a race so I am really excited! We are thinking of going to a sushi buffet afterwords to celebrate. Unfortunately, the race is the day after St. Patty's Day so we are not going to be able to take part in many of the celebrations such as Irish car bombs. (I need to remember to not talk about Irish car bombs when we are in Dublin). I might spend the night at Mary's just so I don't have to worry about Evan stumbling in drunk and waking me up lol.

I need to start writing more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment