Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Little Plant

I found this little plant while visiting our friends Brigette and Jason in Manacor (across the island from Palma). We were taking a walk around the town and suddenly, there at my feet was a little helpless baby spider plant! I looked up and sure enough, there was it's mommy plant sitting on a balcony above us with tons of little babies hanging off. So I stuck this little one in my pocket and then into a glass of water because it was looking a little worse for wear. I promptly forgot to bring it with me back to Palma, so Brigette and Jason brought it in a little plastic baggie with some water when they came to Palma the next weekend.

I let it's little roots grow out for a bit then I took the only plant (dead) in our piso and yanked it out and planted my little spider plant. It has not shown much signs of growth but at least it isn't looking worse!

After this little episode I realized what was missing: plants! I usually have 3-4 houseplants wherever and I am living and before little spidey there were 0. I needed some kind of hobby that can keep me occupied in the house besides the internet. But, I didn't want to go out and spend a ton of cash of plants that I can't take back to the US.

So you know what I did next? I started to keep an eye out for easily accessible Philodendrons. Philodendrons are very easy houseplants like spider plants and you can snip a chunk of one, plunk it in a glass of water for a couple weeks and let the roots grow and then plant it in soil. The next day I found on in my 5th grade classroom! And conveniently located next to a box of scissors!

I am still staying vigilant about easily accessible plants that can grow from a cutting to grow my little plant army! I will probably have to break down and buy a little bag of potting soil and some cheap pots to house my little plants but that will be way cheaper than paying 8 euro for one plant. And buying a full grown plant is not nearly as satisfying as growing your own!


What a cutie!

Evan's parents are coming to visit in 6 weeks! We told them to stock up on contact solution (the kind I use costs 24 euro as compared to 7 dollars in the US. Yikes!), deodorant, and sunscreen. I am really excited to see them!

And Jordan is coming out here to live for a few months starting in the middle of January! I am super excited! It is going to be so much fun traveling and exploring the island together. And then we can go back to HSU and graduate together! I am so happy she can make this opportunity work.

Evan had his first English tutoring lesson this Thursday and I think it went really well. He has been getting more and more emails in the last few days so I am hoping that he is able to work around 10 hours every week to pay off his new camera. I might start tutoring as well to earn some cash to either: a) be sensible and save it for when I get back to the States or b) blow on a trip to China during spring break to visit Waldon??? That is, if he is living there by that time lol.

The shop sent Evan a video of the Miata engine running, which gave him a joy boner (please refer to this episode of the Daily Show) lol.

Excited to go on a hike tomorrow! I will definitely NOT forget my tree book like I did last time!

I will also find out this week if doing my botany project on lichens is a possibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment